Sie befinden sich hier: Home » Tourism service » Aschaffenburg for nature lovers

Aschaffenburg for Nature Lovers

Aschaffenburg has a surprisingly large number of parks, gardens and other green spaces. The town's verdant retreats are largely structured around the naturally occurring floodplains of the Main and Aschaff rivers, and the axis of historical parks and gardens running from Schönbusch Park in the west to Fasanerie Park in the east. Like the 9,000 or so trees that line the streets of Aschaffenburg, these parks and gardens play an important part in improving the town's climate, acting as a 'green lung'. They also make ideal spaces for relaxation and recreation.

Nilkheimer Park (Foto: Till Benzin)

Nilkheimer Park

Nilkheim Park is situated just across the way from Schönbusch Park, on Grossostheimer Strasse along the river Main. In the summer months it is often used as a venue for cultural events, including the Kommz music festival and Kinder-Kultur-Tag children's festival. The park's attractions include the obelisk, the monopteros temple and the mirrored hall, where Aschaffenburg registry office conducts wedding ceremonies.

Schloss und Park Schönbusch (Foto: Till Benzin)

Schönbusch Park

The neo-classical Park Schönbusch is one of the oldest English-style landscape gardens in Germany. Situated south-west of Aschaffenburg it was established as a deer park in 1775. Aschaffenburg was during this time the first residence of Friedrich Carl von Erthal, Elector and Archbishop of Mainz. Emanuel Joseph von Herigoyen, court architect, converted the park into an English landscape park with numerous architectural features in accordance with the ideas of the archbishop's state minister Wilhelm von Sickingen. From 1785 court gardener Friedrich Ludwig Sckell was responsible for the landscape design and transformed the park into an early example of neo-classical garden design. Dotted throughout the park in scenic settings are a number of architectural features such as temples, bridges, a maze and tower. The neo-classical garden palace, built between 1778 and 1782, affords an unimpeded view of Johannisburg Palace. Its rooms paint a vivid picture of royal living in the late 18th century. In summer, the park is venue for the Schönbusch Serenades.

Pompejanum Aschaffenburg (Foto: Till Benzin)

The Main riverbank

The western bank of the river Main is characterised by tree-shaded lawns and riverside flora, while the section between Adenauerbrücke bridge and Nilkheim Park has largely been left to nature's own devices. There is also a riverside path that makes an ideal route for inline skaters and cyclists.
An especially busy stretch of the river is the eastern bank between Willigisbrücke bridge and the Pompeiianum, where people can be seen strolling, playing ball games, picnicking and relaxing on the sunny lawns or pedalling along the River Main Cycle Route.

Schlossgarten (Foto: Till Benzin)

Palace Park

The Palace Park stops visitors in their tracks with its mediterranean charm and its breathtaking views of the Main.
Footpaths guide you past the palace terrace and through the topiary walkway to the 'breakfast temple' and the Pompeiianum.

Schlossgarten (Foto: Till Benzin)

Offenes Schöntal

This garden is a part of the original defensive moat outside Aschaffenburg's town wall and provides a green link between the Palace Park and Schöntal Park. The surviving Herstall tower alludes to the magnificence of the medieval town gate that once stood here. Flowerbeds and shrubs are complemented by the walk-through water feature with its alternating jets and fountains.

Park Schöntal (Foto: Till Benzin)

Schöntal Park

This landscaped park in the heart of Aschaffenburg was established in 1780 outside the former town gates.
The area to the south of the canal and town moat was designed in the style of an English park, while the northern section continued to serve as the court's kitchen garden until the 1950s when it was replotted in the English style.
Notable features in the park include the magnolia grove (the largest in Bavaria) and the ruins of the Holy Sepulchre Church that burned down in 1552. What's left of the building now perches on an island, creating a picture-perfect scene. In the eastern part of the park you'll find the old orangery that now houses two restaurants and a beer garden, as well as the well-known Hofgarten Kabarett comedy theatre run by comic Urban Priol. The park is open all day.

Großmutterwiese (Foto: Till Benzin)

Großmutterwiese

Offering 20,000 square metres of usable space, Großmutterwiese ('grandmother's field) is Aschaffenburg's main recreational park.
Shielded from the traffic by trees and shrubs, the park is a magnet for visitors of all ages, who come to enjoy the paddling pool, playground, playing field and boules court.

Fsanerie (Foto: Till Benzin)

Fasanerie Park

Fasanerie Park, the final link in the chain of age-old green spaces that runs through Aschaffenburg, marks the transition from town into open countryside. This landscaped woodland park has undergone a great deal of changes over the centuries and is a popular place to relax and unwind, thanks to its secluded footpaths, its large playground and its cosy beer garden.